Thursday, October 20, 2005

Meet the barkers

Somehow I have made it this far on this blog without gracing it with pictures of the dogs. So now, I introduce to you:

Kato
Posted by Picasa


This is Kato. He came along with Brian when we got married. He was about a year old when I met him, and he'll be 10 at the beginning of the year. He is a grumpy old man. I still love him, even though he drives me crazy. :)

We've always said that he has a cat's personality, he's very snobby. He sniffs all treats that he is offered and then decides whether they are up to his standards or not. We also think that when we're away from home he walks on his hind legs and speaks with a British accent. This is one smart dog. Once Brian's parents were keeping him and they left him outside when they left the house. When they came home, he was inside. He jumped through a broken window pane to get back in.

When I was pregnant he followed me everywhere I went. He was stuck to my side. I don't know how he knew, but he did, and he was somehow protecting me.

When we first brought Noelle home and she cried in her crib, he was at her door before we were half the time. I think he loves her, even though she takes most of the attention away from him.

Aside from attempting to eat our other dog a couple of times, he's been a really great dog.

Juneau
Posted by Picasa


This is Juneau. We adopted him from the Humane Society when he was 10 weeks old and his name was Mowgli and Spartacus (poor puppy). He'll be three in December. He is a sweetie. A little nervous & jumpy, though I can't blame him, having to live with Kato. I really can't remember which indcident was first, but I'll start with this one:

Kato apparently was just joking when he appeared to get along so well with Juneau when they met at Pet Smart that day. We hadn't had him home long before Kato had to show him who was boss and nearly take his head off. As it turns out, he just performed a Mike Tyson on him and ripped his ear in half. You can't tell in this picture, but there's a little notch missing and permanent sort of fold right down the middle. I have pictures of that and him in the lampshade, but I think he'd rather I show this one.

Then there was the other time when Kato sliced a little hole in Juneau's cheek, because I guess he just wasn't sure Juneau knew whose house he was in. We thought for sure the emergency vet was going to call the Humane Society and tell them to come get their dog back from these evil people. But they just fixed him up and let us take him home again.

Fortunately we've not had to clean any more blood off the walls, and they're pretty civil with each other now. Although, Kato likes to block the door to keep Juneau from coming back in the house when we take them out. This forces Juneau to go full speed, flying over the couch to get away from him. You'd better stand clear if you're ever there to witness that.

Juneau has probably only caught a ball about 10 times ever. For some reason he was not blessed with this gift. He's a sweet dog, lightning fast, but sometimes he's not all that bright. Like with the catching. Usually it catches him between the eyes before he catches it in his mouth. It's pretty funny actually.

Hug
Posted by Picasa

This is Noelle hugging Kato a couple of months ago. She absolutely loves these dogs. She loves to hug on them and stick her face in theirs for them to lick. Dado & Nano, as she calls them, are really good to her. Kato is pretty protective still, and tolerates the hugging quite well. Juneau gets a little nervous around her, as is his nature, but will usually get a couple of kisses in before he runs off.

It's a pretty crazy house with these three, but we are never short on cheap entertainment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home